16.2.08

Shepherd's (chicken) pie

I used the basic shepherd's pie recipe out of the classic Joy Of Cooking for this, just substituting the ground lamb the recipe calls for with ground chicken. Some other minor changes were made, including adding peas (who doesn't like peas... except my mom's dog Elmo - he hates peas), and extra seasoning to the broth.

If you don't want to spend the time waiting for the pie to bake in the oven, do what my mom did when I was a kid. Make the required mashed potatoes and meet filling, then spoon both into a bowl* and serve. My mom called it "hamburg stew" and it was delicious.

*My sister preferred the hamburg and sauce spooned right over top of the potatoes, while I preferred a potato mountain with hamburg moat - the better for making mashed potato caves.

No comments: